Re: theory question

From: Grammostola Rosea
Subject: Re: theory question
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 13:04:08 +0200

Mark Polesky wrote:
Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
I can't remember what it's called, but there's a third minor
scale where the 7th can be raised or not. If it's going up to the
tonic it's sharpened, and if it's going down, it's not. So in the
scale of A (your classic minor) it goes:

a b c d e f g# a g f e d c b a

The melodic minor. Though the 6th is also raised on the ascent.
a b c d e f# g# a g f e d c b a

I intentionally omitted it since it's so contextually dependent.
But I suppose you could specify it anyway:

ascending:
i: min/maj7
ii: min7
III: maj7+5