Re: Transpose Command

From: ArnoWaschk
Subject: Re: Transpose Command
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 14:15:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hans Aberg wrote:

> On 6 Jul 2009, at 18:49, Francisco Vila wrote:
>
>>> I'm assuming the middle section
>>> should be in b-flat major instead of a-sharp major? if you wrap the
>>> b-major
>>> section with
>>> \transpose ais' a' {
>>>  \relative {
>>>   \key b \major
>>>  }
>>> }
>>
>> This effectively transposes the music, I'd rather say \transpose ais
>> bes { } to keep everything in its place.
>
> Let me try:
>
> The part is written A and should be transposed to be in Bb. So the
> normal thing would be
>    \transpose bes a {
>      % part in A.
>    }
>
> To get a 12-equal enharmonic equivalent transposition, one these
> should be replaced with the enharmonic equivalent, for example A#
> instead of Bb. So
>    \transpose ais a {
>      % part in A
>    }
>
>    Hans

... which solves the B major part, but transposes f major to Fb major, which
is even more horrible to read than a# major...

but while we are at it:
why don't \transpose and \relative cooperate the "normal" way an innocent
musician might expect?
in similar cases i am getting single notes in the wrong octave, and the
like...
is that a bug or a feature?

yours, arno