"anchors" in the music stream?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: "anchors" in the music stream?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:05:42 -0400

Hello all,

Like many Lilyponders, I break down my code into variables, e.g. global (for time signature changes, etc.), notes, dynamics, etc. The main irritation with this (IMO) is that each variable requires a complete set of skips in order to keep the timing accurate.

Would it be technically feasible/possible to establish a system of "anchors" instead? That is, could we declare an anchor point in the global setup, and then refer to it in other code? e.g.

global =
{
  \time 4/4 s4*4*10
  \time 3/4 s4*3*5
  \time 7/4 s4*7
  \time 4/4 \anchor #'coda s4*4*10
  \bar "|."
}

tempoChanges =
{
  \tempo \markup "Opening tempo"
  \anchorTo #'coda \tempo \markup "Extremely slow"
}

??

Just a brainstorm from someone who doesn't understand the internals enough to immediately see the stupidity of this idea... =)

Thanks,
Kieren.