Re: Lilypond speed

From: hernan gonzalez
Subject: Re: Lilypond speed
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:10:18 -0300

>> I read in the main.cc source that the GUILE start-up is very time
>> consumming. I
>> wonder if some modification in the code could be done so that the GUILE
>> startup
>> occurs once for several compilation cycles, something as (pseudocode)
>
> Yes, that's been done with the lilypond server.  Search the
> lilypond-devel mailist for details.

Well, I've been searching, but I've found nothing relevant...
http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=lilypond-devel%40gnu.org&q=guile+server
... just some mention (from yourself) telling this same advice (search
the mailing lists)...

About "lilypond server" I only found some scattered references to
running in a web server
(and some about the "jail" options and related stuff), but no mention
about what interest
me, a way of run the lilypond executable (desktop mode) and keep it running,
over the same files in a loop.

Peeking into the sources, I see that it can't easily been done from
the main C entry point,
because the main scm module does not return to the caller, but instead does
a hard exit. Could (should?) this be changed ?

Any other hint or pointer ? I'd guessed that this is a relevant issue
for the typical lilypond user.

Best regards.

Hernán J. González
http://hjg.com.ar/ghibli/musica/