Re: problems with learning lilypond

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: problems with learning lilypond
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 19:04:28 +0200

On 12.08.2009, at 12:26, Simon Mackenzie wrote:

Yeah it's proving to be an interesting learning experience trying to wrap my head around Lilypond. I feel it is like a multi-headed beast with Scheme & Lilypond script intermingled together. It makes for an interesting mix to get ones head around. The manuals are helpful but there are hugh gaps for any new and inexperienced user such as myself.

Personally, I think this is an area where knowing too much gets in the way. I, for example, have no clue about Scheme. Scheme is, as far as I'm concerned, what other people do to save typing. In fact, I'm of the opinion that there's no need to use Scheme, it's just there if you know how to use it. So, if you take Scheme out of the lilypond learning curve, it's actually not that difficult.

James E. Bailey