Re: complex time signatures: scheme help

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: complex time signatures: scheme help
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 18:07:20 -0600

On 8/14/09 5:57 PM, "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 15. August 2009 01:06:40 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
>> On 8/14/09 4:46 PM, "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Attached is my current code for general complex time signatures
>>> (arbitrary # of fractions, arbitrary # of numerators). I have not yet
>>> tried to get it into master, because the auto-beaming does not yet follow
>>> the signature.
>>
>> How should auto-beaming respond to a compound time signature?
>>
>> In particular, how should ((2 3 8) (4 8)) be different from (2 3 4 8)?
>
> That's one of the reasons why I haven't attacked that problem yet ;-)

My intended approach for right now will be to create a default beaming rule

(((9 . 8) end) .
 ((* . (2 3 4)))

It will use the largest denominator (i.e. the smallest time value) as the
beatlength, and then group according to the numerators.

I would handle ((1 2 3 4 8) (2 4) (2 3 8)) as

(((19 . 8) end) .
 ((* . (1 2 3 4 4 2 3)))

I think this is a good rough start; somebody who wants it another way can
tweak it as they wish.

If you see problems with this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Carl