website gradients

From: Graham Percival
Subject: website gradients
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 00:59:30 +0100

Hi Patrick,

The voting results are quite inconclusive:
Solid: 4
"Gradients are easier to see, but solids are easier to read": 3
Gradients: 8   (with a different color scheme)

If we interpret the "see/read" option as a cautious vote for
solids, then we almost have a tie.  ... oh wait, I didn't count my
own vote.  +1 for gradients, giving a total of 9.  So I guess that
makes 7 vs. 9.

So let's try gradients.  Do a git pull, then modify the files in
texinfo/pictures/ and/or texinfo/css/lilypond-web.css.  Please
make gradients for the second-layer bar as well, as well as
changing the background in the lily-home images to match the rest
of the bar (at least, I think we want to do this -- one person
said they liked the different color, but I'd prefer to have the
same gradient background for the entire top bar).

There were a few other suggestions about the type of gradients or
color scheme to use, such as:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-08/msg00384.html
I'd recommend that you read the whole thread in the archives, but
it's completely up to you if you want to pay attention to anything
or ignore them all.

Cheers,
- Graham