Re: chord durations

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: chord durations
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:17:03 -0500

On Aug 30, 2009, at 10:23 PM, Christian Henning wrote:

Hi there, adding a dot to a chord duration prolongs it by 50%. "g4.",
for instance, is 1.5 beats or three 8th notes. "g4.." is 1.75 beats, I
believe. Which would translate into seven 16th notes. But what is
"g4..."? Here, with 3 dots.

Two dots are rarely used and I have never seen three dots used.

Also, how can I describe a duration that lasts for 2.25 beats?

For a 2.25 beat duration, do a half note and a tied 16th note:  g2~ g16

I realize that I don't really ask lilypond related things but more
general music theory questions. I'm hoping this community is still
kind enough helping me out.

You appear to be trying to learn sheet music and LilyPond simultaneously. It would go faster to learn the rules of Western sheet music first- the fundamentals are actually pretty easy and you can readily find most of the information online- and then LilyPond.

http://www.notationmachine.com/how_to_read_sheetmusic/readingmusic.htm

migbht be a good place to start.