Re: Contemporary music documentation

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Contemporary music documentation
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 16:50:15 +0200

Carl Sorensen wrote:
> Also, as you plan sections, remember that anything using \set or \override
> belongs in a snippet, not in the main text body.  In order to have a
> meaningful manual, this may require the addition of some new LilyPond
> commands, which is *not* a problem.

Do you mean in the sense of the actual Snippets section of the
documentation?  I note that the World Music section currently contains
several examples using \set or \override.

One of the hopes in writing this section is that it will provoke/enable
further development in LP's support for contemporary notation -- some of
my personal wishlist examples would be expanded out-of-the-box support
for more forms of microtonal notation, easier and expanded support for
contemporary methods of notating time signatures (building on Graham's
work), transposition styles (tonal vs. chromatic) as an option that can
be enabled Voice-, Staff-, StaffGroup- or Score-wide ... I'm sure I'll
think of others.

(Re chromatic transposition: yes, I know the snippet and will be
experimenting with it at some point to try and solve some of the issues
with the microtonal notation solutions I've been developing.)

Best wishes,

    -- Joe