Re: NR typo: Minor-major seventh chord

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: NR typo: Minor-major seventh chord
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 18:09:53 -0500

Andrew Tucker wrote:
In NR B.2 Common chord modifiers, I think the line with:

Minor-major seventh
Minor triad, major seventh
maj7.5-

-> should change to: maj7.3- (both text and chord)

Clearly maj7.5- is *not* a minor-major seventh chord so that's a good catch.

The syntax that seems most logical to me is to call it what it is: a minor triad with an added major seventh rather than a major seventh with a lowered third: m7.7+ which is what I use in my .ly files (I am using an \include chord exceptions file, though, so I don't know offhand if m7.7+ will produce the desired result with LilyPond's defaults.

BTW it would also be more likely to find a maj7.11+ rather than a maj7.5- among jazz musicians at least.