Re: [midi] [articulate] \stopTrillSpan, \staccatissimo, and \appoggiatur

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: [midi] [articulate] \stopTrillSpan, \staccatissimo, and \appoggiatura
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 12:01:57 +1000

>>>>> "Iain" == Iain Nicol <address@hidden> writes:

Iain> Hi, I've playing about with Peter Chubb's `Articulate' for
Iain> improved MIDI output.  (Thanks, Peter: I wrote a less ambitious
Iain> file a bit back---and then accidentally deleted it.)

Iain> Anyway, I've got a few suggested changes, with patches.  The
Iain> patches are against the copy of articulate linked to from
Iain> <http://www.nicta.com.au/people/chubbp/articulate>; the patches
Iain> should apply with `patch < file.diff' in the same directory as
Iain> articulate.ly.

Oh, Thanks!!!  I'll review it later when I have a moment.

Iain> 1. Trills.  I'm not sure about this(!), but my interpretation of
Iain> the fragment c\startTrillSpan d e\stopTrillSpan is that it's
Iain> similar to c\trill d\trill e In contrast, articulate thinks it's
Iain> similar to c\trill d\trill e\trill

I don't know what it's supposed to do, so I'll bow to superior experience.

Iain> 2. Staccatissimo.  I've got a simple patch to add
Iain> \staccatissimo.  Nothing fancy: it's implemented just like the
Iain> \staccato, only it takes a quarter of the note's value by
Iain> default, not a half.

Good Oh.

Iain> 3. Appoggiatura.  Unfortunately, articulate's \appoggiatura
Iain> doesn't quite work.  For example, \include "articulate.ly"
Iain> \articulate {\appoggiatura d8 c4} doesn't give quaver to both
Iain> the d and the c.  Instead, it halves the written length of each
Iain> of the two notes; it's like you'd written d16 c8.

Hmm  It should make it d8 c8 -- in Baroque and other early music
(which is my main area of interest), an appogiatura starts at the
start of the main note, and takes half its value.  Maybe you want an
acciaccatura?

Iain> To test this, look at or listen to the output of the following
Iain> file.  We want the crotchets of both voices to sound together,
Iain> but they don't.  \include "articulate.ly" \score { <<
Iain> \articulate \relative c' {\appoggiatura d8 c4 c c c} \relative
Iain> e' {e4 e e e }

Iain>       \midi{} \layout{} } The attached patch fixes this.

Iain> (Finally, I noticed there's been a heated discussion on -devel
Iain> recently about licensing.  I know my patches are really small,
Iain> possibly---probably?---not big enough to be copyrightable.  I
Iain> also know that articulate.ly is licensed as GPL v2 only...
Iain> However, for the sake of being unambiguous: I consider my
Iain> patches to be GPL v2 or later.)

Hmmm.  I wrote the license clauses after taking legal advice; as an
add-on to LilyPond, it has to have the same licence, viz. GPL 2.

I'm happy to relicense when LilyPond does.

--
Dr Peter Chubb                                  peter DOT chubb AT nicta.com.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au               ERTOS within National ICT Australia