Re: Space between clef and key and time signature

From: Jiri Zurek (Prague)
Subject: Re: Space between clef and key and time signature
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 05:27:22 -0800 (PST)

Simon Bailey-5 wrote:

> have a look at the space-alist properties of the Clef, KeySignature
> and the TimeSignature objects. looks like there are a number of
> properties there which are fixed staff-sizes. changing these values

Indeed. I found the space-alist properties very useful and when changed, the
clef, key signature and time signature are squeezed properly. Since I find
the orientation in the on-line documentation extremely difficult - I am
perhaps too little technically oriented and I would prefer much more verbose
documentation - I copy the lilypond code here for those who would perhaps
search this forum for the help on the same topic (I usually do the same to
find answers for my question) - the answer will be prepared for them right
away:

%begin Lily - Example - clef, key and time signature squeezed together

\version "2.12.2"
\paper {
    indent = 0.0
    ragged-right = ##t
    ragged-last = ##t
  }

  \score { \new Staff \relative c'
            {
        f2 a4 c2 a4 bes2 g'4 f8 e e4 d c f e d c b a
            }
    \layout {
      \context {
        \Staff
        \override Clef #'space-alist #'first-note = #'(extra-space . 0.1)
        \override Clef #'space-alist #'key-signature = #'(minimum-space .
1.0)
        \override Clef #'space-alist #'time-signature = #'(minimum-space .
0.1)
        \override KeySignature #'space-alist #'time-signature =
#'(minimum-space . 0.1)
        \override KeySignature #'space-alist #'first-note = #'(extra-space .
0.1)
        \override TimeSignature #'space-alist #'first-note = #'(extra-space
. 0.1)
        fontSize = #-11
        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(0 . 0)
        \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -11)
        \override StaffSymbol #'thickness = #(magstep -11)

  \score { \new Staff \relative c'
            {  \key f \minor
        f2 a4 c2 a4 bes2 g'4 f8 e e4 d c f e d c b a
            }
    \layout {
%end Lily -Example