Re: modern accidentals rule (was: Re: Bad spacing (gap) when large inter

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: modern accidentals rule (was: Re: Bad spacing (gap) when large interval and accidental)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:55:17 -0700

On 11/9/09 5:58 PM, "Hudson Flávio Meneses Lacerda"
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> While this may be syntactically valid LilyPond code, it seems to me to be
>> improper (i.e. to not match the intent of the input construction}.
>
> Hi Carl,
>
> Thanks for the correction. I have changed my code to:
>
> \new PianoStaff {
>      <<
>        \new Staff = cima { \Global \VozAguda }
>        \new Staff = baixo { \Global \VozGrave }
>>>
> }
>
> (with no \\)

Excellent!

> BTW, I have found a strange behaviour of "modern" accidentals rule:
> LilyPond considers volta alternatives as "previous" measure. Is this
> correct? (Note the natural sign at the 2nd and 3rd alternatives, not
> related to the previous _played_ measure.)

I do not know.  I am not an expert on the different accidental rules, nor on
the standard engraving practices for accidentals in alternatives.   But I
would expect that the last measure of the repeat should serve as the
previous measure for each of the alternatives.

I've passed this message along to -user to get thoughts from those who are
much more knowledgeable than I.

> \version "2.13.7"
> \paper{ ragged-right=##t }
> {
>      #(set-accidental-style 'modern)
>      \repeat volta 3 {
>        a'4 f'' d'' e''
>      }
>      \alternative {
>        { d''2 cis'' }
>        { \times 2/3 {c'8 e' g'}  c''4 des'' c'' }
>      }
> }

Thanks,

Carl