Re: chordSymbols, arbitrary chord markup

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: chordSymbols, arbitrary chord markup
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 08:24:37 -0700

On 11/11/09 4:51 AM, "VáclavŠmilauer" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use \chordSymbols hack (http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=608) in my jazz
> charts and although, it works quite well in normal cases, it has some
> limitations: you can't write "C phryg" or combination of 6,7,9,11,13 not in
> the
> font etc. I read threads on jazz chords on this list as well
> (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general/49607 and others).
>
> I would like to ask if there is a way to write arbirary markup for chords
> (even
> as lyrics, i.e. they wouldn't be transposable), other than using \markup{...}
> in
> lyrics context for every single chord -- some helper macros perhaps?

You could define each special chord as its own identifier, then use it as a
markup:

\version "2.13.7"

chordOne = \markup {"Chord I"}
chordTwo = \markup {"Chord II"}

\relative c'' {
  \textLengthOn
  a2^\chordOne a |
  a^\chordTwo a
}

There are also potentially fancier ways of doing it using a markup function,
but those are more complicated than I want to get into on this list.

I think the best way for you to do it is with the chordExceptions list.

> In the longer term, I am considering sponsoring development of non-interpreted
> transposable chord symbols context, as discussed earlier on the list; it seems
> that any sponsorship pages have been removed since a few year... ?

There is nobody who is working on LilyPond for money right now.  I think
that none of us could make it worth our time to make changes to LilyPond for
a reasonable sponsorship fee.  We work on what we're interested in working
on as a hobby; hobbies don't have to make money to be worth doing.

The current way to make a sponsorship offer is to post an enhancement
request to address@hidden, with an offer of a bounty.  But I don't
think any of the issues that have bounties have been worked on for the
bounty.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but this is the current
state of LilyPond development.

HTH,

Carl