Re: documentation formats

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: documentation formats
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:39:26 -0500

Hi Graham,

If we did stuff in plain html, we'd lose the pdf docs.  If we did
stuff in plain latex, we'd lose the html docs (without a lot of
tweaking).  Both would lose the info docs, which IMO wouldn't be
terrible, but some people seem to like.

I don't even know what the "info docs" are, so IMO...?
All that being said, I've never had a problem writing docs in XML, then having a stylesheet to output the HTML (via XSLT) and PDF (via XSL-FOP).

I asked for alternate ideas almost a year ago (I think it was
Jan), but after looking at various suggestions, we decided that
texinfo was still the best way to go.

I wasn't part of that discussion, so I guess I lose.  =)

For the benefit of unified presentation /and/ saving your sanity,
I strongly recommend that all you do is copy&paste and change text.

Right — thanks.

For the record, I only want to do this documentation stuff for three reasons: 1. Get my build system in place (i.e., learn git, get dependencies installed, etc.); 2. Satisfy [i.e. shut up] the people who say that the docs are what's keeping them/Lilypond/worldpeace from advancing; and, 3. Get comfy enough with the whole Lily-dev process to "graduate" (i.e., fix some real bugs and add some real features).

Alright... back to installing the 24th of 37 (or more?) dependencies/ packages...
Kieren.