Re: \set vs \override

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: \set vs \override
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:09:59 -0700

On 11/24/09 4:56 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick Payne <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Carl Sorensen wrote:

>>> This must be a bug in the documentation.
>>>
>>> Nick, could you figure out where it should go, and write a bit of text and a
>>> simple example, so we can add it to the docs?
>>>
>> Well I only have/use the PDF documentation, and the section on
>> Rehearsal marks is on p.74 of the 2.13.7 Notation reference. After the
>> initial example, it presently says:
>
> That's a lot of orthogonal functionality.  Maybe one should just make
> \set Score.markFormatter = #(format-mark-alphabet format-mark-box) work
> by letting format-mark-alphabet checking its argument, and if it is a
> function, create a closure from it that transforms the number properly?
>
> Being able to stack closures in that manner might be convenient in other
> cases as well.

I'm sure that a patch that demonstrates this possibility would be examined.

It may or may not be accepted, depending on how the development group feels
about that particular syntax.

If you are willing to write such a patch, or to have the discussion about
the revised syntax, please start a new thread about it on -devel.

Thanks,

Carl