Re: Creating Automatic Beam Settings in Irregular Meters

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Creating Automatic Beam Settings in Irregular Meters
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:55:19 -0000

Dix Franke wrote Monday, March 01, 2010 2:49 PM

I am notating a piece of music that is in 11/8. I've been trying to figure out how I can get Lilypond to automatically group beams in a 3 +3+2+3 pattern. I tried the override-auto-beam-setting command, but it didn't work, I'm assuming it's because there is no auto-beam setting in the first place for 11/8.

No, this would not be the reason.  It's actually
easier if there is no auto-beam setting already
defined, otherwise it would need to be cancelled
first.  But it can be tricky to get the commands'
syntax right.  Be sure you are using the manuals
for the version of LP you are using, as there have
been several changes to the auto-beam setting
commands since 2.10.  The settings you need should
be somthing like

#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 11 8) 3 8)
#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 11 8) 6 8)
#(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 11 8) 8 8)

to beam eighth notes as you want them

I also tried \set beatGrouping = #' (3 3 2 3), also to no success.

I don't think this worked in 2.10.

Trevor