Sudden "cannot allocate memory" error

From: aaron
Subject: Sudden "cannot allocate memory" error
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:19:39 -0400 (EDT)

I'm having a bit of a panic.  My Master's thesis is a modern edition of a
collection of madrigals.  It is typeset entirely using LaTeX and Lilypond.
 I have had no problems for a year building my thesis.  I have made no
changes whatsoever to my LaTeX box.  I suddenly go to build everything
today and I get the following error:

current/scm/backend-library.scm:26:15: In procedure system in expression
(system silenced):
/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/scm/backend-library.scm:26:15:
Cannot allocate memory
command failed: /usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond --formats=ps
-dbackend=eps  -I  "/home/aaron/svn/thesis" --formats=eps --pdf
-dinclude-eps-fonts -dgs-load-fonts  -deps-box-padding=3.000000
-dread-file-list -dno-strip-output-dir
"/home/aaron/svn/thesis/lilyscratch/snippet-names-1807261022.ly"
Child returned 1

I am running Lilypond 2.12.3 on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.  (I installed using the
Lilypond installer, not apt-get.)  It only has 360MB RAM, but like I said,
I have had no problems whatsoever up until today.  Lilypond-book compiles
the first madrigal fine, but when it goes to do a second (order doesn't
seem to matter), I get the above error.  I monitored the system while it
was building (using "top") and I don't see any actual memory issues.  Is
there something else that could be causing this type of error?

I would *greatly* appreciate any help you could offer as I'm hoping to get
this final version off to my prof this weekend.  *takes a deep breath*

Aaron