Re: Turning autobeaming off for a stave

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Turning autobeaming off for a stave
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:19:32 -0000

Carl,

Thanks.  Doing that sort of fixes my problem, but set me off finding a
number of other oddities in the way beaming works with implicit voices.
Here we go....

This is some excerpts from some real music, so isn't quite minimal but does
demonstrate the problems I've found.  I don't believe this has been reported
previously.

BeamTest1 is what I originally started with (albeit I was using \autoBeamOff
and am not here).  As you see from the pdf, the beams that result aren't
quite what would be expected - you'd expect the 5th/6th notes to be beamed
with the 7th/8th, but for me it makes no odds since I normally manually
beam.  However, the fact that the lyrics don't continue over the voiced
notes is a problem for me, and I don't think this would be expected
behaviour.

I simplified what I was using a little, to get rid of the dotted rhythm on
the voiced notes, and this is what BeamTest2 shows.  You'll see that with
straight quavers, the notes in the voices aren't beamed at all!  That seems
to me a bit weird.  Still get the problem of the lyrics, though.

If I skip a couple of test files to BeamTest5, you'll see that by explicitly
instantiating and naming the voices, the lyrics now carry through.  However,
the beaming still isn't at all what would be expected - returning to oneVoice immediately after the 2 notes with 2 voices, the formatter tries to place the
stems downwards and the beamer struggles!

Finally, BeamTest6, with the oneVoice command moved to the next bar,
the upper voice is beamed and the lower is not.

I can work around this by putting the lower notes into a completely separate
voice with loads of spacer rests, but thought it was worth flagging up.

--
Phil Holmes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden> To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; "LilyPond User Group" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:46 PM