Re: Using the break-alignable-interface (aligning RehearselMark)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Using the break-alignable-interface (aligning RehearselMark)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:06:09 -0000

Werner wrote Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:13 PM

Trevor Daniels <t.daniels <at> treda.co.uk> writes:

> Great, thank you! Why didn't I find that in the docs?

I don't know; perhaps you could tell us ;)

It's in the Notation Ref, section 5.5.1, which is all
about aligning objects, helpfully called "Aligning
objects".  However, the index entries may not be as
helpful as they could be.  Did you look in the index?
If so, what did you search for (and not find)?

In the mentioned 5.5.1 I found
„Using the break-alignable-interface“
with examples for the RehearsalMark.

The example, Robin gave, I only find hidden in 1.8.1 (selected snippets) while
it is missing in 1.5.2 and in 5.5.1.
e.g.
\override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT

Well, you have to extrapolate a little. It is quite impossible to give
examples of every combination of every property with every grob
in the docs.  In 5.5.1, under Self-aligning objects horizontally, it
explains what the self-alignment-X property does, and says it applies to objects which support the self-alignment-interface. If you then look
up RehearsalMark in the Internals Reference you will see (at the
bottom of the page) that it does indeed support the self-alignment-interface,
so its self-alignment-X property can be overridden.

This is the general way to work out how to override properties.

What I wondered was, given your problem, if we could add index entries
that would guide you to the self-alignment-X property.  How you then
override this is general knowledge covered in the Learning Manual.

Trevor