Page layout for piano four hands

From: u_li
Subject: Page layout for piano four hands
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 03:16:52 -0700 (PDT)

Dear list/forum,

I have written a score of a four hand piano piece.
Now I want to produce the 'practical edition', which should be as follows:
- The first player gets a 'normal' piano score on the right pages, the
second on the left pages
- both scores must have identical page breaks, optionally line breaks (I'll
have to try both to decide whether it is necessary).

Is there a way to produce such a kind of parallel page breaking
automatically? If I'd do it by trying and inserting manual \pageBreak-s, I'd
have to do this again everytime I change the page or staff size or anything
else.
(If I end up doing it manually, I would at least use a separate voice for
the breaks, that can easily be switched).
Using a rigid approach with fixed number of bars per line isn't possible as
the material is quite irregular.

If I have to produce the two scores separately, is there an option to use
only odd/even page numbers for a score? Otherwise I'd have to import the
pages individually in a page layout program to produce the final score.

I hope this is understandable English.
And of course I also hope there is a practical solution for the problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Urs

P.S. well, actually it's two pianos, eight hands, but that's not that
important for the start. In the end I should probably have two books with
identical page breaks. No idea how to accomplish this automatically ...