Re: Help with Tweaking of Volta Brackets - without repeat marks

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Help with Tweaking of Volta Brackets - without repeat marks
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:09:08 +0100

Kieren,

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi James,

\relative c' {
 \time 4/4
 d'4. c8 b a g f
 \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1."))
 e4 e' e r
 \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "Fine."))
 e,4 e e r
 \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
 \bar "|."
 c'4 c8 c c4 c8 c
}

This seems to do pretty much what I want. I can live with the end bar in the
middle of the piece, even if it looks incongruous.

Don't you instead want

\relative c' {
 \time 4/4
 d'4. c8 b a g f
 \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1."))
 e4 e' e r
 \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "Fine."))
 e,4 e e r
 \set Score.repeatCommands = #(list '(volta #f) 'end-repeat)
 c'4 c8 c c4 c8 c
}

??

No because there is no repeat in the music.

The Second Volta is skipped the first time and you carry on through the piece, then when you get to the end of piece it 'D.S. al Fine', jumps back to the start but skips the first time bar and ends on the 'fine' volta. Also a Coda is not appropriate because of what comes next in the movement (i won't bore you with that but there is no coda).

I wanted a double bar as an end bar looked odd.

I was hoping there was a command like

\set Score.repeatCommands = #(list '(volta #f) 'end)

Which just told the bracket to 'end at the end of this measure' regardless what the bar was and without adding anything extra (like a repeat).

James