\autochange and rests

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: \autochange and rests
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 18:47:04 +1000

Hi,
   I have a simple piece that I'm trying to arrange for my daughter
   who's a beginner pianist.  I can write it out all on the treble
   clef, but then there are a few low A notes below the staff that
   need leger lines.  Using \autochange
   splits it nicely, but it looks wrong -- how can I get \autochange
   to fill in the gaps in the staves with rests?
   (some people may recognise the tune).

This is with \autochange:
   \version "2.12.3"
   \score {
     \context PianoStaff {
        \autochange \relative c' {
          \key a \minor \time 2/2 a2 a4 a |
          e4 e e2

This is what I want, but automatically:
   \version "2.12.3"
   \score {
     \context PianoStaff <<
       \context Staff = RH  \relative c' {
         \time 2/2
         \key a \minor
         R1 |
         e4 e e2 |
       }
       \context Staff = LH  \relative c' {
         \clef "F"
         \time 2/2
         \key a \minor
         a2 a4 a |
         R1 |

Dr Peter Chubb                                  peter DOT chubb AT nicta.com.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au               ERTOS within National ICT Australia
All things shall perish from under the sky/Music alone shall live, never to die