Re: page-based header functions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: page-based header functions
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 00:27:03 +0100

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:37:36PM -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> \footer {
>   \if-page #'first { FIRST PAGE FOOTER }
> }
>
> Questions:
> 1. Can this be done entirely in Scheme? [Intuition: YES.]

Check out the definition of \on-the-fly and things like #last-page
and #part-first-page.  IIRC these emails were from 3-5 years ago.

> 2. Is there are better syntax? [Intuition: YES.]

Yes, but we're not having any official discussion about this until
GLISS.  In particular I'm uncertain about the notion of a
\footer{} section, although that idea has come up from time to
time and will be given due consideration.

> 3. Is everything I need to know how to do this available in the existing
> titling code? [Intuition: YES.]

My intuition is that \on-the-fly already does 90% of what you
want.  If I'm correct, then unfortunately:

1) this won't be good scheme practice at all since it's so easy
2) you'll want to talk about syntax, which is a huge time+energy
drain that we don't need right before 2.14.

Cheers,
- Graham