Re: beatLength / beaming in 4/4

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: beatLength / beaming in 4/4
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 09:34:53 +0200

Hi Carl,

Am 15.06.2010 21:52, schrieb Carl Sorensen:

By now I understand the logic behind this from a programmer's perspective.
But I have to say it seems quite counterintuitive from a musical or
typesetter's point of view. If I change the beatLength setting I'd expect that
beams are now grouped according to this new beatLength. I wouldn't expect that
there is a default setting somewhere (which I as a typesetter originally don't
see at all) which produces four groups in a 4/4 regardless of the length of
the group.
Well, I'm not the one who invented these rules.  These rules come from
established handbooks of music notation, such as Read, Ross, and Stone.  I
think that doing things according to the handbooks is the best thing to have
for a default.  And that's what we've tried to do.
I wasn't irritated by the default but by the behaviour when I change the default (-> giving me four short plus one long beam).
But that's obsolete now with the new version :-)
In the documentation, it say that if there are no default rules or beam-type
rules, then beatLength governs beaming.  So all you would need to do to have
the beatLength govern beaming is to do:

\overrideBeamSettings #'Score #'(4 . 4) #'end #'()

That kills all of the beaming rules, and beatLength will completely cover
autobeaming.
Well, at least *I* didn't get this syntax to clear the beaming rules from the documentation.
Well, I think the new code will have a very easy solution for you.
With the new code, LilyPond behaves as it should have done, i.e. if there are beaming rules the beatLength doesn't affect beaming.
But I don't see any change in the docs.
Can you tell me where I can find this new solution and how it works?
If it has been postponed it wouldn't be a real problem because now I have understood how the beaming works/worked
If you want to always have beaming follow beatLength, you can simply do

\set Score.beamSettings = "#'()
No, that's generally not what I intended, but it's interesting to know.

Best
Urs
Then beatLength will control the beaming.

HTH,

Carl