RE: transposing instruments

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: transposing instruments
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 00:02:23 -0400

Jatziri,

See:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-big-page#Transpose

I regularly am given music in 'A' or 'C' to write out and transpose for B-flat
for the small orchestra I am in (for example I play a lot of parts written for
Cornets in A or sometimes, depending on the melody and the instrument that
plays it I'll be asked to join the bassoons or play a French Horn part - we are
a very small orchestra and have an imaginative conductor!).

So this is what I do.

I typeout the music 'as is' on the score and then I create different 'score'
parts with the transpose function accordingly.

Example:

OriginalMusicInA = { a b c d e }

Now I simply create score part thus

\score {
   \new Staff {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = #"Trumpet "
    \transpose bes a { \relative c'' \OriginalMusicInA }

What I also while I am in the process of copying out the score, is use

    \transpose c c { \relative c'' \originalmusic }

and then change the 'c c' value to whatever I need to tranpose to/from once I
am ready to print the music out. it simplifies the working-out process for me
until I have checked for any copying mistakes.

I hope this helps.

James