Re: Lilypond for FL Studio ...

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Lilypond for FL Studio ...
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:14:50 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 21. Juli 2010, 22:30:14 schrieb Alexander Kobel:
> Wait a minute, is this real?
>
> MacOS X ships with XCode.  XCode ships with the GCC.  GCC is mentioned
> on the no. 1 of Internet encyclopedias as the no. 2 of GPL-licensed
> software.
> Does this mean that Apple
[...]
>    d) just knows that this is allowed?
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but to my understanding: d). A plain bundling of a
> binary does not violate even the GPL.  It's not linked (not "making
> function calls or sharing data structures"), it's not embedded, it's
> just shipped with (without modifications, of course) and called.

Exactly. That's what the GPL explicitly allows. You can always call a GPL'ed
application from a non-GPL application.

> If this is possible, it'd be a real good thing for LilyPond, by the way.
>   Interested (and paid) developers who will have to spent at least a bit
> of their time to interface and output of a program is always a Good Thing.

Yes, any application can create a temporary lilypond code file, run the
external application lilypond on it and get the resulting PDF...
That's allowed, AFAICS, as long as it's just an add-on and not the main task
of the application (because then one can argue that it again violates the GPL,

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886