Re: rests in polyphonic music - 'stems down, rests up'

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: rests in polyphonic music - 'stems down, rests up'
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 23:17:12 -0700

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 09:01:03 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

"K" == Keith E OHara writes:
    K> It is less clear if the use of Stem 'direction to place rests, in
    K> the notes-plus-rests case, was intentional.
Shouldn't the rests by default be placed where the voice goes in the
column - odds up, evens down - regardless of stem-direction?

When there is a difference between the stem direction and the order of the
voice, {\voiceOne \stemDown ...} then yes, it seems that Lilypond should place
the rests according to the \voiceOne instruction.   I do not know if it is
practical to change the behavior, but if you send a short example and desired
behavior as a bug report, it can be fixed if practical the next time somebody
revises that part of the program.

    K> and since rest-collision.cc insists on asking your rests what is
    K> their Stem direction, and since un-pitched rests in a stemNeutral
    K> voice answer based on neutral-direction :
I hadn't noticed this clause about un-pitched rests in stemNeutral
voices.  Is their behaviour vs. 'neutral-direction documented anywhere?

I should have explained how I determined this.  I found the brief description
of 'neutral-direction in the manual, and discovered the rest by experiment.
(Which is fine with me, because experiment is faster than reading and
understanding English for these detailed points.)