RE: Padding behaviour

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Padding behaviour
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:03:53 -0500

Hello.

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden on behalf of Keith OHara
Sent: Wed 11/10/2010 21:04
To: address@hidden

Similarly you can force the dynamic to the left, \once\override DynamicText #'X-
offset = #-3  and let Lilypond raise/lower it without regard for the parent
note \once\override DynamicLineSpanner #'Y-offset = ##f.

There is a similar example in the notation reference manual (section 4.6.2) but
if you try that, please tell us if it does what you need.  It seems to me that
extra-offset moves things *after* Lilypond has made all her layout choices, so
it has effect too late to let the staves come close together.  (This example
might be out of date, or I might just not get it.)

---

I think this is the example you are referring to

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/changing-spacing    (3rd
Example)

This is updated from the 2.12 manuals where the 'tweak' did not in fact make
any difference and did indeed place the dynamic *after* the spacing had already
been established. This newer example should all the staff below to be allowed
to engraved closer.

Although I am not sure this is what the user wanted - that is they appeared to
want to set this dynamic to have no padding around it, but I don't know how to
do that or indeed if you can.

James