Re: Re : [Lyrics] Ignoring tie

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Re : [Lyrics] Ignoring tie
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 06:34:55 -0700

On 11/11/10 5:35 AM, "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Yes, I know: this is what I thought. The problem is that the same notes
>> are used in 2 stanzas: in one case, the tie must be ignored; not in the
>> other. Here[1] the original sheet.
>>

> Where I have to do this, I use an underscore in the part with the fewer
> syllables to add an extra syllable.  In the case you have I would then
> either set the music without the tie, or preferably I would use 2 voices and
> set the primary voice without the tie (so the lyrics with the underscore
> fit) and the second voice either with the correct (untied) note value, or
> with the tie - possibly dashed.

There's a perfect example of this in the development version of the
documentation (and it should work even with the stable version of LilyPond).

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to
-lyrics#divisi-lyrics>

In this case it's done as divisi lyrics, but one can't tell the difference
between divisi lyrics and two different stanzas.

HTH,

Carl