Re: OooLilyPond problem

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: OooLilyPond problem
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:41:03 +0000

On 12/11/10 20:09, Tim McNamara wrote:
> There has been a significant fork which may affect this particular
> Lilypond project.  Many/possibly most of the OOo developers quit the
> OOo project and have started LibreOffice in protest against the parent
> company that was paying for OOo development.  I don't know the details
> but they are out there on the interwebs.
>
> LibreOffice is also at 3.3.0 beta and does not seem significantly
> different in any way.
>
> For Macs, there is also NeoOffice which is based on OOo, but has
> various patches applied to use native Mac features.  IME OOoLilyPond
> is very problematic with NeoOffice, although I no longer remember the
> issues or details.

LibreOffice is afaict the Go-OO version of OpenOffice.

The important point is that it is no longer "OOo plus patches", it is an
actively maintained project in its own right. All of the patches are now
being aggressively merged into the code base (seeing as it is no longer
constrained by the Sun/Oracle copyright assignment policy).

They are also keen to attract developers (my name is slowly climbing up
the stats of people committing changes).

But pretty much all of the non-Oracle devs have jumped ship to the new
project. And bear in mind that several companies (for example Novell)
were expending significant resource maintaining an "OOo plus patches"
program - they can now throw those resources at a proper Open Source
project.

It's *probable* that OpenOffice will fade into obscurity - eclipsed by
the new fork. You can see the effort being thrown at it ...

And while I can't be a champion for lilypond, I do read a lot of the
messages on the list, even when they're outside my sphere of interest
(database), so rest assured if I do see anything that I think would
affect lilypond, I'll but in and mention it.

That said, if you're interested in lilypond integration, go along to the
website (www.libreoffice.org will redirect you), join the mailing list,
and do something about it ... :-)

Cheers,
Wol

(an unemployed NoSQL database programmer looking for a job :-)