Re: Lyric tie

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Lyric tie
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:36:31 +0100 (CET)

>> Post-mortem, this is not difficult: Just use the --ps option of
>> lilypond and search for `/uni203F' in the created PS file.
>
> Yes.  That single character adds 2,855,700 bytes to the PS

This is normal, since lilypond doesn't do font subsetting.  Sazanami
adds about 20MByte...

> and 62,425 bytes to the PDF. (!)

This is a problem of Ghostscript which apparently doesn't do optimal
font subsetting.  Without checking, I suspect that it only strips the
font's `glyf' table to a single glyph, leaving `cmap' and other tables
unchanged.

>> So you should stay with the `FreeSerif' font:
>>
>>  \override LyricText #'font-name = #"FreeSerif"
>
> Which causes my problem, as far as I know.  Oh, I like CenturySchlbk
> for lyrics, it's a real pity that things are not so straightforward
> for my systems (both Ubuntu 10.04).  Where to start from about
> fiddling against "callback fonts"?

There is no GUI to fontconfig, AFAIK.  You have to fiddle around with
the configuration files in `/etc/fonts/conf.d'.  For example, I have,
on my openSuSE box, a file `58-suse-post-user.conf' (this is a soft
link to another file but fontconfig reads files from that very
directory) which starts with

  <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
  <fontconfig>

  <!--
    Set fonts to be preferred when the standard aliases "serif", "sans-serif",
    and "monospace" are used.
  -->

        <alias>
                <family>serif</family>
                <prefer>
                        <family>DejaVu Serif</family>
                        <family>Liberation Serif</family>
                        <family>Times New Roman</family>
                        <family>Thorndale AMT</family>
                        <family>SUSE Serif</family>
                        <family>Bitstream Vera Serif</family>
                        <family>Nimbus Roman No9 L</family>
                        <family>Luxi Serif</family>
                        <family>Likhan</family>
                        <family>KacstBook</family>
                        <family>Frank Ruehl CLM</family>
                        <family>Times</family>
                        <family>Khmer OS System</family>
                        <family>Lohit Punjabi</family>
                        <family>Lohit Oriya</family>
                        <family>Pothana2000</family>
                        <family>TSCu_Times</family>
                        <family>BPG Chveulebrivi</family>
                        <family>Nazli</family>
                        <family>FreeSerif</family>
                        <family>MS PMincho</family>
                        <family>MS Mincho</family>
                        <family>Sazanami Mincho</family>

As you can see, `FreeSerif' is quite low in the hierarchy.  BTW, I've
updated fontconfig recently (to the above configuration), so I no
longer get the lyric tie from `Sazanami Mincho'.

If you like Century Schoolbook you should consider installing TeX Gyre
Schola, which is a clone with a much increased number of glyphs (and
it contains a glyph for the lyric tie):

  http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/schola/qcs2.005otf.zip

It was my plan to use these fonts as a replacement within LilyPond
because of the much larger number of glyphs.  Unfortunately, they
don't contain Cyrillic glyphs yet (or rather, they had been removed
due to copyright issues), so I'm postponing it.

    Werner