Re: TabStaff feature requests

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: TabStaff feature requests
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:26:32 +0100

Am 24.11.2010 15:59, schrieb Steve Yegge:
Hi Marc,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Marc Hohl <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Just for clarification: as the guitar is notated one octave above
    its sounding pitch,
    I use the following template:

    \score {
     \new StaffGroup <<
       \new Staff {
         \new Voice { \global \clef "treble_8"
                      \override Voice.StringNumber #'transparent = ##t
                      \music }
        }
       \new TabStaff {
          \new TabVoice { \global \clef "moderntab" \music }

    The octavated treble clef just does the right thing, and with the
    override, you
    remove the unneccesary string numbers.

Thanks; I'll try it.  How do I turn off the little "8" symbol by the clef?
Why do you want to remove it? This is the standard way of guitar notation.
But if you *really* want to get rid of it, an

\override OctavateEight #'stencil = ##f

should do the job (untested).
[...]

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that there is such an algorithm, although
it seems like it would make a cool research project.  I was just using
this example to illustrate the need for the tab-understands-(-0) workaround.
Ah, I see. I was in fact thinking about such an algoritm long time ago,
but I got stuck very quickly.

    [...]

That makes sense.  It's a really good heuristic, actually -- I've been
rather amazed at how often simply setting the minimum fret results in
generating optimal fingerings for a passage, even for relatively complex
music.
Yes, lilypond does a very decent job already in this case.

Regards,

Marc