Re: Lyx 2.0 Beta 1, LilyPond OS X, MacTeX etc. - no lilypond integration

From: Julien Rioux
Subject: Re: Lyx 2.0 Beta 1, LilyPond OS X, MacTeX etc. - no lilypond integration
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 12:37:53 -0500

On 03/12/2010 12:22 PM, Henry Flurry wrote:
My guess is that either:

- LyX can't find where I put LilyPond, and I need to set some shell variables
or run a script or move the LilyPond app

- I need a different installation of LilyPond that goes directly into the
bowels of Unix.

Hi,
The first guess looks like the correct diagnostic, or at least that's what I would guess, too. You can verify this: In LyX, under Tools > Preferences > File Handling > File formats, there should at least one entry of Lilypond and one of Lilypond-Book. If those are missing then LyX did not find your lilypond installation or it did not find a recent enough version. (2.13.39 is recent enough, but maybe another installation?)

So the way forward to solve this is to

1) Make sure that the latest version of lilypond-book is the first occurrence of lilypond found in your global PATH variable, or (alternatively) in the PATH prefix that you set in the LyX settings under Tools > Preferences > Paths.
2) Reconfigure LyX (Tools > Reconfigure) and restart LyX

If the automatic detection does not work, you could

a) Run LyX from a terminal window, redo step 2) above and glimpse at the output on the terminal window for any error messages regarding the detection of your lilypond installation to try to understand why it fails.
b) Set up the converters manually as described earlier in the thread.

Best,
Julien