Re: notehead collisions in cluster

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: notehead collisions in cluster
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:56:16 -0000

Jon W wrote Saturday, December 11, 2010 1:00 AM

I uploaded an image as an attachment:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p30430768/collisions_example.png
collisions_example.png To be sure this is somewhat of a pathological case and I do not expect lilypond to be able to handle it gracefully by default. Ideally the cluster would be rendered with more horizontal spacing so as to
avoid collisions.

Jon, could you post an image that shows, or describe precisely
how, you would like these chords to appear?  Could you also
say what you think should happen to shorter notes (with stems)
in these same chords.

My question is, what does anyone suggestion as a practical
solution? What could I instruct my program to do, if it is about to output a
chord with two note heads on the same line or space of the staff?

There are ways of changing the positions of note heads
and accidentals in a chord relatively easily as long as
no stems are involved.  If you show exactly what you
want I'm sure someone will come up with a solution in
any specific case.  A general solution would be more
difficult, though.

Trevor