Re: Unexpected \markup behavior

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Unexpected \markup behavior
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 07:34:47 -0700

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 07:49 -0500, Ralph Palmer wrote:

> Greetings and thanks, Colin -
>
> The second case is unexpected (to me) because I thought that \dynamic
> was a font command, as is \italic. Even if the \dynamic in the second
> case is attached to the d and then overwritten by the "meno", why
> isn't the "meno" overwritten in the first case by the \dynamic?

Good morning, Ralph

The Dynamics font only has a few characters: f,m,p,r,s, and z. Also, I
believe you need to reset the font to normal after using \dynamic before
changing to \italic.  The Snippets manual, under Expressive Marks -
Horizontally aligning custom dynamics, may have some useful ideas for
you, as well.

The other issue you raise is the effect of the order of the elements in
the \markup on the placement of the output. Jan-Peter's answer on -user
calls for the "normal" placement of the elements, i.e., "meno " followed
by f, which doesn't expose the bug.  Removing the \dynamic { "f" } in
your second case actually raises the "meno " toward the upper staff.

I'll investigate a bit more, but so far, this looks odd to me.

Colin

--
You recognize the tune, but sometimes the fingers just don't work so
well. When you're playing you need to listen and know when to back off.