Re: How to print 2 rehearsal marks above and below same bar line

From: James
Subject: Re: How to print 2 rehearsal marks above and below same bar line
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:49:47 +0000

On 14/12/2010 11:28, Phil Holmes wrote:
And hello from me.

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Lowe" <address@hidden>
To: "Mats Bengtsson" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:34 AM

Hello

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden on behalf of
Mats Bengtsson
Sent: Tue 12/14/2010 9:01
To: address@hidden

Nick, Matts and James (et al)

On 30/11/2010 01:12, Nick Payne wrote:

On 30/11/10 10:53, James Bailey wrote:

Hello, I asked this exact same question almost exactly two years ago!
Here is the response I got from Mats. It worked for me, even if it was
a bit fiddly:

Two years later, I'm hopefully a bit wiser. How about the following
solution?

\score{
\relative c'{
c d e f |
<< { \mark "Above" }
\new Voice \with
{\consists Mark_engraver
\override RehearsalMark #'direction = #DOWN
} {\mark "Below" } >>
g f e d
| c1 }
}

/Mats

---

Well this seems to work, but I do get a lot of warnings in the log file.

James

=======

I think that's because the mark engraver still exists in the score
context and so recognises the voice engraver as a clash. The following
is rather more wordy and may have any number of extra brackets in it,
but works and compiles with no errors. Feel free to improve it:

\score {
<<
\new Staff {
<<
\new Voice \with
{ \consists Mark_engraver
}
{ c''1 \mark "Above" c'' }

\new Voice \with
{ \consists Mark_engraver
\override RehearsalMark #'direction = #DOWN
}
{ s1 \mark "Below" s }

}

\layout {
\context {
\Score
\remove "Mark_engraver"
\remove "Staff_collecting_engraver"

I guess it just depends on what people consider more complicated. An extra (unnecessary?) voice in a single system and use this method or use two \overrides for a single system by adjusting the gap between two rehearsal marks one on top of the other for the system to 'fit' through.

The method above has the benefit (I guess) of being then able to more easily adjust the spacing if needed and being much more likely to be useful on multi-systems than just a single one (which is what I mostly engrave).

I'll look at adding this to the LSR as an alternative method.

However as a general question from all this regarding workarounds, while we don't document workarounds in the Notation Reference or the Learning manual and while we use Snippets and LSR for 'tweaks' like this; I wondered from the point of view of a new user or someone hunting on how to do something like this and then getting pointed to the tracker as 'known bug', or 'enhancement that no one is working on', can we put a/the current workaround for said bug/enhancement in the tracker?

James