How to print less measures to each system

From: Akira
Subject: How to print less measures to each system
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:19:26 +0900

I would like to increase the number of systems per one page and
decrease the number of measure per one system.
Because by this way I can widen each measure, and performers can
easily read figure the rhythms out.

For instance, now I have 12 measures per each system (line) and 8
systems per one page.
The music which I want should have 8 measures per each system and 12
systems per one page.
By this, the vertical spacing between each staff will decrease, but it
won't matter.

I tried this:

\paper{
#(define page-breaking ly:optimal-breaking)
systems-per-page =11
}

But this was completely ignored!
What should I do?