Re: beautifully reworked wiki page

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: beautifully reworked wiki page
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:27:34 +0000

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well my point was with some of our duller Inspirational Headwords, I am
> always on the look out for 'interesting' LilyPond files that we could
> potentially use in the Doc.

Invent something from scratch.

> So thinking if this were something we could use, but then thinking hmmm...
> perhaps this breaks some copyright, because of the dead after X years or
> this is some other publisher's copyright etc etc.

We have some unhappy history on this point in the development
community.  Invent something from scratch.

Basically, just assume that *anything* written / performed / painted /
sculpted / filmed / created  in the 20th century is tainted.  Pretend
that it never happened, or that martians came down and vaporized every
single piece of art since 1900, or something like that.  If you look
into a particular work, you might occasionally be pleasantly surprised
to find that you can legally use it -- there's some loophole in some
law, or the author deliberately placed it under creative commons, or
something like that -- but in the vast, vast, vast majority of cases,
you won't be pleased.

If you don't like the "martians vaporized our art" thought, then
consider letting politicians know, and consider voting for political
parties which favour certain types of copyright reform.  But if you
thought that the road to 2.14 was a long and painful process, you'll
be in for a nasty surprise when you start working on political change.
 :|

Cheers,  (?)
- Graham