Re: Chords symbols for Function Theory (Riemann)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Chords symbols for Function Theory (Riemann)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 11:59:49 -0700

On 12/17/10 8:58 AM, "Music Teacher" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
> This mail never arrived, it seems. So i send it again...
>
> I would like to know if there is a way (i search quite a while
> whithout success) to write chords according to Riemann's Function
> Theory. In principle, math would do the trick, but there are some
> arguments for a own syntax (have a look at
> <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:FunktionsAnalyseBach.PNG>)

There is no automatic chord analysis capability in LilyPond.

It has been suggested that you can do your own analysis and use a Lyrics
context to display it:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-10/msg00523.html

One could adjust the note names list given in scm/chord-names.scm to change
from a letter to a roman numeral, and we currently have code in place to
render minor chords in lower case.

You may also want to look at these threads:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-04/msg00050.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-06/msg00196.html

HTH,

Carl