Re: A small but vexing problem (fermatas in several voices)

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: A small but vexing problem (fermatas in several voices)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:09:47 -0500

Hi Michael,
That's a good idea and I'd do exactly that if I were transcribing the
chorales by hand.  Fortunately, Margaret Greentree (jsbchorales.net)
has already done the hard work of entering all the notes for 404
chorales, but she did it in Finale, so I'm starting from LilyPond
converted from her exported MusicXML.

I think I've now got a solution for the final argument to \quoteDuring
using music-map (adapted from "notes-to-skip" example in LilyPond
regression tests.

#(define (replace-with-spacers m)
  "Converts all stuff with duration (notes, lyrics, bass figures,
etc.) to spacer rests. Scripts and dynamics are maintained.
"
  (if (memq 'rhythmic-event (ly:music-property m 'types))
      (let* ((newmus (make-music 'SpacingSectionEvent)))
        (map
            (lambda (x) (ly:music-set-property! newmus (car x) (cdr x)))
        (ly:music-mutable-properties m))
        newmus
      )
   m)
)

quoteduration = {
    \applyMusic #(lambda (x) (music-map replace-with-spacers x))
    \ASvoiceAA
    }

AAquoteBA = {
    \set Score.quotedEventTypes = #'(articulation-event)
    <<
    {\quoteDuring #"articulations" { \quoteduration } }
    \AAvoiceBA

I'm totally open to a less messy solution :-)

Cheers,
Mike