Re: How do I stop circles from wobbling?

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: How do I stop circles from wobbling?
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:57:13 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
 the vertical extent should fit in the circles
necessitated by the horizontal extent.

The 4 is big enough to ensure that all the vertical extents do fit, but (because of this) they all fit loosely. This looseness means that to decide where to position a circle vertically a further criterion is needed. Behind the scenes the circle-stencil bases its circle on the centre of the vertical extent (see stencil.scm and issue 107). This of course varies e.g. between button strings "G" and "g".

 Can anybody tell me what to do to keep the circles from wobbling?

The simplest method is to accompany the #:hcenter-in 4 with a #:vcenter. This makes the legends wobble instead of the circles.

That looks OK to me, but maybe the legends shouldn't wobble either. In that case we need some sort of average displacement. A line average is insufficient e.g. the bottom line has no "g". A total average seems inconvenient so I would do it with a fiddle factor. Replace
#:hcenter-in 4

with

#:with-dimensions (cons -2 2) (cons 0 1.5) #:center-align

and adjust the 1.5 to taste.

Cheers,
Robin