Re: ties through parallel construction

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: ties through parallel construction
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 07:40:13 +1100

On 11/01/11 22:11, Father Gordon Gilbert wrote:
Hi all,

In the following construction:

        <d a'>2 ~<cis a'>  ~ {<<  \stemDown<d a'>  \\ \stemUp {d'4 cis}>>}

the second "tilde" seems to have no effect.  I want to tie the 'a' in
the second chord to the 'a' in the third chord in the parallel bar.
Am I missing something?  How do I tie such a thing through this
construction?  Everything else about this line seems to work properly.

You can't have ties or slurs going between notes in different voices. I frequently encounter this problem when setting guitar music, which commonly has multiple voices on a single staff. I get around it by using an additional voice with hidden notes and duplicating the tied/slurred notes in this voice with the ties/slurs moved there. I would estimate that at least half of the several dozen guitar scores I have set with Lilypond have needed this workaround.

Nick