Re: do narrow and bold-narrow font-series exist? How can i squish Lyrics

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: do narrow and bold-narrow font-series exist? How can i squish Lyrics horizontally?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:59:24 +0100

2011/1/11 Alexander Kobel <address@hidden>:
> On 2011-01-11 00:30, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> Ok, thanks.
>> What about compressing words? I mean, is it possible to change the
>> amount of space between the letters?
>
> I don't think so, and I don't think it's to come: this is not even a
> feature too common in amateur-grade DTP applications.

The only thing i can say is that OpenOffice supports it. I don't know
if this is an appropriate program to speak of, though.

> But if you were to choose 'bold-narrow, you'd get the same as selecting
> a condensed font for this syllable.  It might look okay if you just use
> this for a syllable, depending on the very font and the difference
> between the variants.  Otherwise, try something like \markup \scale
> #'(0.97 . 1) "syllable"; that's about all I can come up with.

I tried it and unfortunately the scaled syllabes start to look weird
as soon as i compress them by the amount that makes any difference in
my situation (0.9 for example).
I think that adding ability to reduce distances between letters
without affecting letters would be useful, especially in tight lyrics
situations.
Nevertheless, thank you very much for your help!

cheers,
Janek