Re: engraving question - changing stem direction to avoid levitating slu

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: engraving question - changing stem direction to avoid levitating slur
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:12:46 +0100

W dniu 14 lutego 2011 21:17:57 UTC+1 użytkownik Shane Brandes
<address@hidden> napisał:

> Hi Janek,
>
> I looked through some scores and it does not seem to be out of
> place as is, which was also my initial reaction.

Really?
Well, for me it looks odd.

> I did notice a few
> instance were the slur  lines were engraved crossing through the stems
> when they would have otherwise been too high.

Yes, it seems reasonable to do so in some cases. However, i suppose
doing so would require tweaking slur control points, and that sounds
pretty messy. I'd like to avoid this if possible - after all, i'm
using LilyPond because i want to do as few (and as simple) tweaks as
possible :)

> It is always also possible to have the slur under the staff also.

Do you mean simply using \slurDown? I'd say that the result (attached)
is indeed a little better, but flipping bes quarter note makes it yet
more good-looking.

> Anyway I would not
> change it. unless you find a more excellent reason than that it looks
> a little odd.

Well, for me not :)
Apart from the way to handle that slur, if i do in in my way, what
would you advise me about those stems of bes notes? ('terrae' part)

cheers,
Janek