Re: Transposition with arrow quarter-tone notation

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Transposition with arrow quarter-tone notation
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 22:46:49 -0800

Joseph Wakeling wrote:
I've extended my 'cheat' a bit with the following rules (based on
english.ly note names).

  qs = +999/4000  (as opposed to +1/4)
  af = -999/4000  (as opposed to -1/4)
[...]
This setup is aimed allow for a full arrow quarter-tone notation with
arrows being preserved across all regular transpositions
[...]
However, transposition errors do in fact occur even with regular
transposition:

qtatest.ly:11:91: warning: Could not find glyph-name for alteration -3/2
[...]
(I'm surprised that -3/2 or +3/2 generates an error since wouldn't this
occur -- and be taken care of -- by transposition rules for the normal
12-note system?)

Lilypond preserves the triple sharp by default.  Somebody might want to define
a triple sharp glyph for it and use it in notation.

Reduction of cisis to d, and so forth, is done with the function
'\naturalizeMusic'
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Changing-multiple-pitches#Selected-Snippets-55).
  This function is not built-in to Lilypond, so you include its definition in
your .ly file before you use it.

When arrow notation is used for quarter tones, the implication is that
natural-up is not exactly the same pitch as sharp-down, yet a 24ET quarter-tone
instrument is quite capable of playing the music.  This seems analogous to
C-sharp (71cents) being not exactly D-flat (133cents) yet the piano is still a
decent musical instrument.  So the 'cheat' above actually seems quite honest to
me.

The difficulty with general transpositions is that successive alterations can
generate an infinite number of different pitches within an octave.  We could
simply decide on a way to round the alterations (like we round sharp to
100cents in 12ET) so that they generate only a manageable set.  For arrow
notation, I suggest :
NATURAL       0
NATURAL-RAISE 2/10 of a 12ET whole tone,
SHARP-LOWER 3/10
SHARP       1/2
SHARP-RAISE 7/10 , etc.

Then we pick glyphs for all the alterations that could result, repeating the
natural sign to cover three possibilities -1/10, 0 and 1/10, and similarly for
flat and sharp.  Anything larger than a semitone is reduced to an enharmonic
equivalent using \naturalizeMusic.  Demo file, adapted from Joseph's file, is
attached.