Re: Beaming eighth notes in threes in 3/4 time

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Beaming eighth notes in threes in 3/4 time
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 07:15:06 -0700

On 2/20/11 4:35 AM, "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]

This is certainly a bug.  I'm not sure whether it's just a documentation bug
or whether it's a code bug.

3/4 has special beaming rules listed in the engraving handbooks that don't
fall under the regular beaming rules, so there's a hard-coded check.  I
don't remember the details right now, and I don't have time to look into it
(probably for a couple of weeks).  But it could be that the code is bad, or
it could just be that the code isn't explained properly in the docs.

IIRC, the engraving books said that 3/4 beamed in two should probably be 6/8
instead of 3/4.

> \relative c' {
>      \time 3/4
>      c8 c c c c c
>      \set Timing.baseMoment = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)
>      \set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()
>      \set Timing.beatStructure = #'(3 3)
>      c c c c c c
>      \set Timing.beatStructure = #'(0 3 3)
>      c c c c c c
> }

This is also a bug.  One should never need to make a zero-length beat to
affect autobeaming behavior.  I don't know if it's the same bug or another
bug.

Phil's code is exactly what I would have written as the way to solve the
original request (except that I would have reversed the order of the
beamExceptions and beatStructure settings.  I don't know why it didn't work.
Again, it may be an issue of the special rule for beaming 3/4 time.

If nobody else does it in the meantime, I'll investigate when I get the
time.

In the meantime, let's make an issue.

Thanks,

Carl