Re: Turning off visible dynamics on lower piano staff

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Turning off visible dynamics on lower piano staff
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 00:16:15 +0100

2011/2/20 Doug Ewell <address@hidden>:
> First-time poster, so please be gentle.

We always are :)
Welcome to the community!

> I have an original piano score, just 50 measures long but with volta repeats
> and alternate endings and a coda, which I am relying on to create both the
> PDF and the MIDI output.
>
> I'd like to display the dynamics between the two staves, but the "piano
> centered dynamics" example in the documentation looks like it might not work
> for this piece, because of the alternate endings and such.

While i'm not familiar with these new piano centered dynamics, i'm
pretty sure that our development team wouldn't create a solution that
lacks support for repeats and alternate endings. Just be sure to
create alternatives in that dynamics context, too.
Could you try using "piano centered dynamics" and sending us a message
if this fails, with a tiny example of the code? (for information on
tiny examples see http://lilypond.org/website/tiny-examples.html )

>  And I can't
> simply use \f and friends in the upper staff only, not the lower, because
> the MIDI wouldn't come out right.
>
> Is there a simple way to turn off the dynamics engravers for just the lower
> staff?

I was pretty sure that

\score {
    \new PianoStaff {
        <<
            \new Staff { d'2\p f'4 g'\f }
            \new Staff \with { \remove Dynamic_engraver } { b4\f g\ff a2\p }

would do the trick, but it doesn't do anything at all, and i have no idea why.
Anyone?