Re: mezzo staccato

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: mezzo staccato
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 10:47:48 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: 胡海鹏 - Hu Haipeng <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 18:32:51 +0800
To: James Lowe <address@hidden>
Subject: Re:Re: mezzo staccato

>Thank you very much! THen, what's the difference (visual shape or
>position) between c-- and c-_?
>Haipeng

Ah...that's interesting!

If you zoom into the PDF (which I appreciate you won't do normally) then
the

c-_ has a smaller dot and a thinner line and also the space between the
dot and the line is about 75% more white space.

C-.-- has a much thicker dot and the line is much closer.

If I use the

#(ly:set-option 'debug-skylines #t)

Then there is no significant difference other than the line in the c-_ is
lower (which I said above) and so means that the spacing would be
fractionally different below the stave for collisions and any other
markups that came below this note, this is the same if the note was above
the stave.

So if you had a small score print-out or lots of articulations then perhaps

c-.-- might be better than c-_ just so you could see it more easily.

I hope that helps.

James