Re: Alternate, as in separate, chords

From: Stan Mulder
Subject: Re: Alternate, as in separate, chords
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 21:23:52 +0000 (UTC)

Stan Mulder <st45882wz <at> earthlink.net> writes:

> Is it possible to put a different set of chords above the main line of chords
> like this (I hope this formats correctly):
>
> (Db7)
>  G7        C
> --------------------
> --------------------
> --------------------
> --------------------
> --------------------
>
> And what about the parenthesis around the chord name. Is that possible?

Thank you everybody for responding. I found something that works really well,
although I don't know how to get a gray color... red works though. Also, the
parenthesis are black, while the chord symbol is red. Any suggestions to get it
coordinated? Also, is it possible to parenthesize multiple chords?

Here's what I have done that works well. First I have two sets of chord blocks.

harmonies = \chordmode {
  s4
  c1
  e2:sus4.7/b e:7
  %etc
}

harmoniestwo = \chordmode {
  s4
  \parenthesize c1
  \parenthesize b2:m7 e:7
  %etc with skips etc
}

And then in the score section, add an extra ChordNames block for "harmoniestwo":

\score {
  \transpose c c
  <<
    \new ChordNames {
      \set chordChanges = ##t
      \override ChordName #'color = #red
      \override ChordName   #'font-size = #-0.5
      \harmoniestwo
    }
    \new ChordNames {
      \set chordChanges = ##t
      \override ChordName   #'font-size = #1.0
      \harmonies
    }
    \new Voice = "one" { \melody }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" \text